Finn is the love interest of Rose Tico in the Star Wars sequel trilogy, and during the The Rise of Skywalker, Jannah and Finn become romantically interested in each other.
He's the best friend of Poe Dameron, with whom he also has a relationship that can be interpreted as having romantic tension. He is also Rey's best friend, whom some fans speculate that he might has had a small crush on during The Force Awakens.
Finn is played by John Boyega.
In The Last Jedi, Finn tries to leave the Resistence ship to warn Rey about how the situation got worse, in favor to the First Order. He thinks that the Resistance fleet is doomed and so is them if they choose to stay. So, he decides to escape and taking the transmitter bracelet away, and with that avoiding that Rey find her way back to the Resistance ship. Rose meets Finn in the escape pod bay and tells him she admires him for leaving the First Order and for his bravery in Starkiller Base. She enthusiastically tells him that her and her late sister, Paige, considered those acts one of a true hero. However, when she realizes he is trying to escape from the Resistance in a escape pod, she stunnes him to stop him from running. She is initially frustrated with him since her sister recently sacrificed her life in the conflict against the First Order.
Later, he and Rose go on a mission together to the Canto Bight cassino to find a codebreaker and they start to grow closer. Rose tells Finn about her sister and her perspective on the war which influences him to reflect about his place in the war. During their adventure, Rose shows signs of having developed feelings for Finn, which are more explict in the novelization version. It's because of Rose that Finn decides to stop running from the Resistence and finally defines himself as part of the "rebel scum" to Captain Phasma.
At the Battle of Crait, when Finn decides to sacrifice himself by flying his speeder into the First Order's battering ram cannon, Rose crashes her speeder into his, stopping him. When he asks her the reason why she did it, Rose replies that the way to win is "not fighting what we hate, saving what we love", which is her way to confess her feelings for him. Then, she kisses him on the lips and falls unconscious from of her wounds. Finn carries her out of the battlefield and later he is seen with a still unconscious Rose in the Falcon placing a blanket on her, showing that he cares about her.
In The Rise of Skywalker, Finn invites her to accompany the group in the mission to search for the Sith wayfinder, but she is assigned other tasks by General Organa, so she declines. Later, when Finn and Jannah stay behind to disable the transmitter of the Steadfast during the battle of Exegol, Rose doesn't want to leave Finn behind. She only leaves after being persuated by other Resistence members.
In The Rise of Skywalker, Finn meets Jannah and is surprised to know that she was also a stormtrooper that defected from the First Order, because before meeting her he was unaware that there were others like him. The two of them become close fast because of their shared past, causing them to lead the assault during the battle of Exegol in the end of the movie. During these events, Finn and Jannah become romantically interested in each other.
Kelly Marie Tran talks about Rose
Star Wars: The Last Jedi OST - Fun with Finn and Rose
Rose stuns Finn
Rose and Finn escape the prision cell in Canto Bight
Rose and Finn confront Captain Phasma
Rose saves Finn
The Last Jedi deleted scene - Rose and Finn go to where they belong
Finn and Rose in Star Wars Forces of Destiny (Shuttle Shock)
Finn and Jannah talking about the Force
Finn and Jannah in the Battle of Exegol
Finn and Jannah in the Battle of Exegol 2
Lando and Chewie rescue Finn and Jannah
Possible Love Interests
This section addresses characters that fans speculate that Finn might has a romantic interest or has a relationship with implied romance, but not confirmed by the canon material released.
Poe is Finn's best and first friend. In the sequel trilogy movies, they have a lot of chemistry together and many fans interpret several of their scenes as having romantic and sexual undertones.
In The Force Awakens Finn helps Poe to escape the First Order as the first act of defection in the beginning of the movie. Then, Poe is the one that names him "Finn" after not liking the name the First Order had given him. When their ship crashes in the Jakku desert, Finn keeps his jacket thinking Poe died in the crash. Later, when the First Order attacks Maz's castle on Takodana, Poe and the Resistance arrive to help defend the castle and Finn watches Poe's ship flying and screams "That's a hell of an pilot" without knowing that it is in fact Poe piloting it. They finally reunite again after the battle, and run to embrace as soon as they see each other from a far. They are both happy and relieved that they both survived the crash. Finn tries to return Poe's jacket, but Poe tells him that he can keep it because it suits him.
In The Last Jedi, Poe is the first one that Finn sees after waking up from the injury he received from Kylo Ren. Poe tries to reassure him and make sure that he is fine. During the Battle of Crait, when Finn decides to approach the First Order's cannon, Poe orders vehemently him to retreat, but Finn refuses.
In The Rise of Skywalker, when Finn is interrupted while trying to tell Rey something, Poe gets very curious. He keeps asking Finn what he was going to tell Rey several times. Some viewers interpret this as Poe being jealous. Later, they both support each other while attacking stormtroopers on the corridor of the First Order's ship they infiltrated to rescue Chewie. When Poe gets shoot in the crossfire, Finn immediately stops to check if he is fine, which leads to them both being captured. Then, they are about to be executed by Hux and the stormtroppers, and Poe chooses this moment to ask again what Finn wanted to tell Rey. The scene plays it as a joke in this tense moment, but Poe seems very hurt that Finn is hiding something from him. Afterwards, in the end of the movie, the two of them reunite after the final battle, and they embrace each other again, before Rey arrives and joins them.
Finn is also best friends with Rey. In The Force Awakens, Finn's chemistry with Rey made fans speculate that she would be his love interest. During the sequel trilogy, but mostly in the first movie, there are some ambiguous moments that can be interpreted as him either having a small crush on her or just being a very good and close friend to her.
In the The Force Awakens. They become involved in the First Order chase for the droid BB-8, forcing them to run away. Thus, they work together to survive and rapidly become close. When Finn is about to leave with Sido Ithano's crew, he asks Rey to come with him and then tells her to take care of herself. After Rey is captured by Kylo Ren, Finn offers himself to enter Starkiller Base, intending to rescue her. When he is injured battling Kylo, Rey kisses an unconscious Finn on the front and says that they would reunite again. In the end of The Last Jedi, the two friends reunite and embrace.
In The Rise of Skywalker, Finn tries to tell her something but is interrupted. Some fans believe that he wanted to confess his feelings for her, but the movie never reveals what he was trying to say. According to the cast of the movie, including Finn's actor and the movie director, he wanted to tell her that he is force sensitive.
- Finn is the Star Wars sequel trilogy character included in the largest number of ships by fans because of the speculation around his possible love interests besides his canonical ones (Rose and Jannah).
- Although Rose is one of Finn's canonical love interests, in The Rise of Skywalker her screen time was severely reduced and their relationship underdeveloped. Fans were disappointed that the movie didn't give their relationship any resolution and that Rose was almost absent from the movie. The rumor is that she was cut from the movie as a response to the blacklash involving her character, which is also a disappointing choice from the movie creators since that leaded to Rose's actress being harassed online to the point she left all her social media.
- Jannah and Finn having a romantic interest in each other was confirmed by John Boyega in his twitter and by Naomi Ackie (Jannah's actress) in an interview after The Rise of Skywalker.
- Poe's actor always hinted a romantic tension between his character and Finn. In interviews for the The Rise of Skywalker, he states that he always found their relationship interesting and that he played with the intention of being romantic, but that Disney was unfortunately still not ready to show this kind of representation on screen.
- Despite Finn's actor denying a few times about Rey and Finn's relationship being romantic and stating they are just friends, fans still speculate about the ambiguity of their scenes and how Finn might have a crush on her. The Rise of Skywalker sparked the discussion again with Finn's interrupted dialogue to Rey. Even though the movie cast members stated that Finn was not going to make a love confession, the movie seems to acknowledge FinnRey's shippers while poking fun of all the speculation for turning his supposed confession into a joke and also for not giving shippers what they wanted.Furthermore, whether or not Finn has had a crush on Rey, now seems to be something in the past, since he ends up interested in Jannah during the final movie.
- Answering a fan question after The Rise of Skywalker release, the director J.J. Abrams claims that he intentionally left some relationships as FinnRey, FinnPoe and Reylo ambiguous in The Force Awakens movie for the director of the sequel choose how he would explore each one of them. This ambiguity is what leaded to the beginning of the speculations and fan support of ships involving Finn's character.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.J. Abrams reveals what Finn wanted to tell Rey in 'The Rise of Skywalker'
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 John Boyega on twitter: Finn wasn't going to make a love confession
- ↑ The warrior that stole Finn's heart
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Naomi Ackie Knows What You’re Thinking About Jannah and Finn
- ↑ John Boyega on The Ellen Show
- ↑ John Boyega: New ‘Star Wars’ Is ‘Darker, Bigger’ Than ‘Force Awakens’
- ↑ J.J. talks about Reylo and relationships in TFA